IBM iSeries software was designed to stand the test of time. Released around 30 years ago, the software is alive and kicking. AS400 software is the only software from IBM in which Microsoft has shown interest.
Whether you call it AS400 software, IBMi, iSeries, or System i, the OS400 server has always been an integrated OS, including an IBM DB2 relational database. The software can run on IBM’s UNIX OS, the open-source Linux OS, and AIX 5L.
The AS400 software is widely considered the best OS in the universe because of its solid architecture and uptime of 99.9%, which is faster than any other system.
Every one or two years, IBM AS400 software releases an upgraded version of the software. And now, IBM has announced the modern approach to license compliance via IBM authorized SAM provider, known as IASP.
IBM has announced a new, more admirable, approach to license compliance – via the IBM Authorized SAM Provider Offering “Independent Auxillary Storage Pool” (IASP).
For now, it’s an invitation program only. And, for the customers who qualify for the program, IBM will allow them to work with authorized IASP partners to monitor IBM usage continuously. Previously, IBM had an LMO program that was developed to provide the same services. But now the program has been disabled and no longer available for IBM AS400 iSeries customers.
What is IASP?
As per the internet definition of IASP, it’s an “independent auxiliary storage pool” – made by IBM. Here it seems that vendors are running out of acronyms.
In ITAM terms, IASP is a new approach to compliance, i.e., it’s an alternative to the traditional software license review process. The complete program is managed and run by four authorized SAM partners (we will get to know about them later) who work with clients to proactively manage their business environment.
Objectives of IASP includes:
- Introduce and enhance the SAM process and its benefits.
- Provide better assurance of conformity
- Enable practical IBM management
- Accelerate the transition to hybrid cloud
What Does the IBM Authorize SAM Provider (IASP) offer?
– The IASP by iSeries software is a friendly and non-punitive approach to fulfillment. It is an alternative approach to the traditional software license review process. The thinking behind the same is – An alternative designed module will attract the customers better.
– The customers selected through invitation will get a chance to work with one of the four ASPs to manage the IBM AS400 software assets across their organization.
– The offering for IASP is not like a “back-door” audit. SAM works directly with customers and is bound by strict confidentiality.
For Whom the Program Is?
As of now, it’s an invite program only, and IBM AS400 software is looking for customers fulfilling some specific requirements. If you are fit as per their needs, it will be worth talking to IBMi and knowing how to get an invitation.
Requirements to join the IASP program
- Invitation-based participation.
- The customer must use services from one of the four IBM-approved SAM providers in a managed way.
- An organization's participation must be dynamically changing and complex.
- Should have multiple sites and entities as a part of the modern business portfolio.
- Must have leveraged many software publishers across its IT estates.
Read More: https://www.integrativesystems.com/what-are-iasps-in-ibm-iseries/